Alhambra City Council Bike Plan Study Session
The Alhambra City Council will be having a Study Session, open to the public, on Monday November 7th at 5:30pm. The meeting will be held in the central library’s Community Room on 101 South 1st St., just southwest of Main and Garfield.
If you live, ride or would just like to see a more bike/ped friendly Alhambra, please attend the meeting. This will be Council’s first formal consideration of the issue.
What: Alhambra City Council Bike Plan Study Session
When: Monday November 7th, 5:30pm
South El Monte to Host Design Workshops for Durfee/Peck Rd Improvements
The California Local Government Commission, City of South El Monte and CA Center for Public Health Advocacy will be hosting a series of three community workshops to develop a bike-ped friendly vision for Durfee and Peck Roads. Public input is sorely needed, so if you live, walk, bike or just want to support active transportation in South El Monte please attend one, two or all of the events. For more info, call 626-579-6540.
11/10 (6-8pm) Opening Community Workshop
11/12 (9am-1pm) Walking Tour and Design Workshop
11/15 (6-8pm) Presentation of a Vision Plan
Where: All events will be held at the Senior Center, 1556 Central Ave, South El Monte
November Coalition Meeting – 11/14 – 6:30-8:30pm – El Encanto
The next WSGVBC coalition meeting is right around the corner. Join us at Monterey Park’s historic El Encanto building for refreshments and updates on the group’s latest efforts in the community.
What: West San Gabriel Bike Coalition Meeting
When: Monday November 14th, 6:30-8:30pm
California Bike Summit – 11/5-7 – Kyoto Grand Hotel, Los Angeles
This weekend, the California Bicycle Coalition is coming to town to host this year’s state bike summit in downtown Los Angeles. The three day event will feature an array of speakers, workshops, organized rides, and opportunities to meet and socialize with bike advocates from around the state.
City of Pasadena to Host General Plan Mobility Workshops in November
City Planning staff will host four Mobility Workshopsin November for members of the public to share their “thoughts about the future of driving, biking, walking and riding transit” in the City. The workshops are the latest outreach opportunity of the City’s General Plan update process, which is winding down and should come before Council for approval in the coming months.
The City’s Draft Bike Master Plan falls under the Mobility Element of the General Plan, so these meetings will be a good opportunity for folks who live and ride in Pasadena to provide feedback directly to City staff.
What: City of Pasadena Mobility Workshops
When/where: November 10, 11, 17, and 12/1 (Spanish)
Upcoming Events in Chronological Order
- 11/3 (6-7pm) – Emerald Necklace Action Team Meeting – Jack Crippen Senior Center, 3120 Tyler Ave., El Monte
- 11/7 (5:30pm) – Alhambra Bike Plan Study Session – Alhambra Library Community Room, 101 South 1st Street, Alhambra 91801
- 11/10 (6:30-8:30pm) – Pasadena Mobility Workshop – Pasadena Senior Center, Scott Pavilion, 85 E. Holly St, Pasadena
- 11/10 (6-8pm) – South El Monte Durfee/Peck Rd. Community Workshop – Senior Center, 1556 Central Ave, South El Monte
- 11/10 (7-9pm) – Temple City Traffic Calming Workshop – Temple City Historical Society Hall, 9704 Woodruff Ave.
- 11/12 (9am-1pm) – Walking Tour and Design Workshop – Senior Center, 1556 Central Ave, South El Monte
- 11/14 (6:30-8:30pm) – WSGVBC Monthly Meeting – El Encanto, 700 El Mercado Ave., Monterey Park, CA 91754
- 11/15 (6:30-8:30pm) – Pasadena Mobility Workshop – Jackie Robinson Center, 1020 N. Fair Oaks Ave, Pasadena
- 11/15 (6-8pm) – Presentation of Durfee/Peck Rd. Vision Plan – Senior Center, 1556 Central Ave, South El Monte
- 11/16 (9am-) – LA County Regional Planning Commission Public Hearing on Final Draft of Bike Plan – Hall of Records; Room 150, 320 West Temple Street, Los Angeles. The Final Plan and Draft EIR are available for public review.
- 11/17 (2:30-4:30pm) – Pasadena Mobility Workshop – Fair Oaks Community Room, Renaissance Plaza, 694 N. Fair Oaks Ave. 2nd Floor #203, Pasadena
- 11/17 (6-8pm) – Temple City Downtown Strategic Plan Workshop – Temple City Historical Society Hall, 9704 Woodruff Ave.
Planned improvements include new sidewalks, signalized pedestrian crossings, street furniture, landscaped medians, road and drainage improvements, as well as solar powered lighting, public art installations and protected bike lanes (aka cycletracks).
10/9 – CicLAvia!!! – 10-3pm
After taking the summer off, CicLAvia is back and set to be bigger and better than ever!!! The event’s third itineration includes two new spurs, one into south Los Angeles and another Chinatown, as well as an extension further into Boyle Heights.
The WSGVBC will be hosting a feeder rider along the Arroyo Seco Bike Path to Chinatown. Meet by the entrance of South Pasadena Public Library (1100 Oxley St.) at 9am.
For more info, or to see a map of the new and improved route, see the new CicLAvia website.
10/17 – October Coalition Meeting – 6:30-8:30pm – Monterey Park Chamber of Commerce
The next WSGVBC coalition meeting will be held on Monday October 17th. The historic El Encanto building, now home to the Monterey Park Chamber of Commerce, will play host to this month’s meeting. Come enjoy this beautifully restored Spanish revival while discussing our latest plans and efforts to make the WSGV more bike-friendly! RSVP encouraged.
What: West San Gabriel Bike Coalition Meeting
When: Monday October 17th, 6:30-8:30pm
Where: El Encanto, Monterey Park Chamber of Commerce, 700 El Mercado Ave., Monterey Park
10/22 – MAKE A DIFFERENCE DAY – Emerald Necklace Cleanup Ride – 9am-12pm
As part of national Make a Difference Day, the WSGVBC will be hosting a cleanup ride along the Rio Hondo/San Gabriel River Bike Path. Riders of all ages and abilities are welcome to join us. Come make a difference with us, and:
- enjoy the beautiful fall weather
- get some much needed exercise
- make the Emerald Necklace shinier than ever
Riders will meet at Lashbrook Park in the City of El Monte (3141 Lashbrook Ave, El Monte 91733) for park cleanup and ride along the Rio Hondo Bike Trail.
10/22 – City of Alhambra Community Forum – 10am-2pm
“The City of Alhambra wants to Know: How do YOU Envision Alhambra?” Alhambra Council Member Gary Yamauchi will host a community open house from 10am-2pm on October 22nd to solicit feedback from the public on transportation, land-use, housing, parks and recreation, and public services issues as the City looks to update the General Plan. The meeting will be an excellent opportunity to discuss safety issues facing pedestrians and cyclists in Alhambra. The meeting will be held at Almansor Park Gym. For more information, check out the City’s event flyer.